Wednesday, February 3, 2010

internship assignment

For my archives class we were given the option of selecting a topic and writing a paper OR selecting a practicum and writing a paper about that experience. Since my desire is to work in archives, of course I would pick the practicum! (even though it means I lose even more time in my busy schedule)

I've worked on digital archives before at Pratt&Whitney and Sony Pictures in LA, so I was hoping for an internship that allowed me to work hands on with documents and things. I received an email from my professor with my assignment and I couldn't be more excited!! I'm going to meet with Jenny, who will be my supervisor and start hours after my trip to Morocco.

Here is a description of what I'll be doing!!! I can't wait to get started!! :D

George Washington University's Special Collections Research Center (SCRC) hold the Riggs Family Papers and recently received some additional materials from the Riggs family. The Riggs family has been a prominent Washington family for two centuries. The new materials include account books, diaries, glass plate negatives, photographs, and artifacts. We are seeking a practicum student to survey the materials, arrange and properly house them with guidance from the ManuscriptsLibrarian, and to add the new data to our existing finding aid.

No comments: