Thursday, October 29, 2009

no more monkeys

When I'm doing research, I make an organized mess. I was on my bed with laptop, and at least 4 or 5 books open with notes and papers strewn about. Yang was stopping by to pick up his jacket and he knocked on the door. Now instead of moving things aside, or calmly walking around my bed I decide instead it's a good idea to stand up and jump off my bed, over my books and things, to answer the door. It seemed like a good idea until upon landing I slammed my hand into my nightstand. (To which my brother asked me - why were your arms moving? Apparently when I jump, I still move my arms like I did back in cheerleading. It's the only explanation I have for why I would need to swing my arms up and then down) So now I'm in great pain, fingers swell up and bruise immediately and I have to let Yang in, and ask him to give me a minute while I writhe in pain. Frozen spinach and Ibu later, I'm no longer doing research as I can't write or turn pages with my right hand. I didn't break anything (other than my nails) luckily, but they were sore for a good 4 days.

You'd think I had learned my lesson about jumping off my bed. A few years ago I was on the phone and jumped off my bed but when I landed I rolled my ankle and watched myself fall in my full length mirror, and sprained my foot. (At first I laughed really hard because seriously, watching yourself fall is hilarious, and then came the pain/swelling/bruising) But nope, here I am years later still jumping off my bed. It seems that I have a greater success rate though!

No comments: