Sunday, November 29, 2009

a clark thanksgiving

This year was the first year I stayed in VA for Thanksgiving. Typically, I head up to CT to be with my Aunt and cousins and grandparents. I think that Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday to celebrate with my family. They make the most amazing food, and with all the people running around (probably more of napping), football, video games, phase 10 - it's never ending maddness and an amazing time. Since I had one final the following Wednesday and a ton of reading and other homework to do, I didn't think it would be smart to head up to CT and risk not getting any of my work done.

Jonna, Evan and their very sweet parents invited me to celebrate Thanksgiving with them at Evan's new condo in DC. Jonna picked me up around 2pm and we didn't leave until almost midnight. The only bad thing was that I had to work on black friday, so I had to get up at my usual 5:15am time. Evan's condo is absolutely gorgeous. He has an amazing view from his condo, he's on the 3rd floor and has a complete large roof top deck. You can see the Washington Monument and other historical landmarks. It will be perfect for seeing fireworks on the 4th of July! Slowly but surely he will get settled into his new condo, and I'll have better pictures.The rain had finally stopped for a while, and we took advantage of that moment. Jonna, Evan, Laurie and I went on a guided tour (compliments of Evan) around his new neighborhood. He lives near H St and Florida in NE, DC. The area isn't the safest at the moment, but there are a lot of changes in the works. They're working on building a trolly system, that will run up and down H St, and we noticed there were at least 6 new bars/restaurants opening within the next few months. It will be exciting to explore a new part of DC.

Before dinner we played Clue, where John tried everything possible to cheat, but Evan won the first round and I won the second. Everything about Thanksgiving dinner was delicious, except for maybe the mashed potatoes. There may have been too much milk added, and they were rather frothy. Once we finished dinner we lazed around and played Apples to Apples. Jonna won that game with ease. There were 3 dessert options, and I had all 3, of course. When Jonna makes dessert, you have to eat them all! There was her famous frozen cheesecake with fresh strawberries, a banana cake with cream cheese frosting and chocolate and a home made pumpkin pie (made by Laurie!) that I think was THE best pumpkin pie I've ever had in my entire life, seriously. The flavors were amazing, all the spices were complimented perfectly.

Jonna and I cabbed back to Arlington to pass out in a food coma. For not being able to be with my family in CT, I was really happy and had the best time celebrating with the Clark's <3

No comments: