Monday, May 30, 2011

moving by the power of dadds

Since Jonna had convinced her dad to help her move into our new house, I decided to try to convince my dad to help me move too! Luckily we were able to come to an agreement; he helps me move if brother and I help him move and unpack at his new house in New Jersey at the end of June. This is a fair deal, and we agreed!

I decided to move into the house on Saturday of memorial weekend and Jonna would move in on Sunday. It's a really good thing I changed the day I moved in because if we were both moving in at the same time it would have been ridiculous chaos! Instead it was organized chaos :) (and brother wasn't able to help on Sunday, more man power is better) Since we were showing the house to a few potential roommates that day, Varun was nice enough to pick up the UHaul for me and meet up with dad and brother at my old apartment to pack up all my things into the truck. They managed to pack everything into the truck in less than an hour. I think I did a pretty well packing and organizing! They just as quickly unloaded my stuff into the house. We spent the rest of the day moving stuff around, unpacking, and getting settled.

Sunday, dad and I had a delicious bagel breakfast from Brooklyn Bagel and relaxed outside in the sunshine. We made it home in time to help unload a few last things of Jonna's. Despite all the moving of large furniture upstairs only one window was broken, thanks Ben! :P We spent more of this day unpacking and getting settled. Dad was a huge help with the kitchen and my bedroom. John Clark taught me and Jonna how to start the lawn mower and weed whacker. He also explained all the varied poisons he'd provided us for killing weeds and bugs. We had a lot of people over the house enjoying the glorious backyard and all the space we have. Robin, Alicia, Ben, and Kristen (and Cosmo!) were all a lot of help, and nice company while we worked around the house. We didn't do much else Sunday night because I wasn't feeling well and needed to sleep, stupid lame high maintenance body, but dad went over to hang out with brother once he got home from reffing soccer. Tywanna and Jeff did stop by in the evening with a giant bucket filled with fresh strawberries too.

Brother and dad were up really late, so when I was up really early Monday, I took advantage of the time to go back to my old apartment and clean. When I arrived it was relatively clean. I cleaned half of the bathroom I shared with Elizabeth, I cleaned/vacuumed my bedroom, the living room, and removed everything else that was mine from the apartment. I emptied my food from the fridge, and considered my part of the cleaning complete. There was a lot of stuff randomly strewn about the apartment, I'm assuming it was Elizabeth's or her boyfriends things. Regardless, Shana and I did our part and separated on good terms. Once I left Heatherton lane for the last time, I met up with dad and brother. We decided, despite the intense heat, we would play mini golf. Brother and dad tied, of course. On the way back we stopped to enjoy a delicious Slurpee from 7-11. I haven't had one of those in a really long time. I combined Fanta Cherry and Coke! Sugar overload! We went to brother's for the rest of the evening where his roommate BP was making pulled pork, and a bunch of other delicious foods. Their neighbors from upstairs had purchased an inflatable pool, which we all enjoyed while relaxing on our last night of the long weekend. Moving is a really long process, but I'm glad I was able to take a break from unpacking on Monday to get some fun time in with dad and brother. I'm excited to see dad again at the end of June, even though it's for more moving and unpacking, it's always the best to have time with my dad!

I couldn't be happier with my new house, except having a 3rd roommate - that would add to my happiness! Saving money and all. Its been so nice living with Jonna and having a roommate (and friend!) who interacts/plays/laughs with me. I wish we could afford to live just the two of us in the house, but I think we made the right decision taking the upstairs to share between us. Once we get more settled we'll have lots of bbqs and people over, so look forward to more exciting adventures from Chez Quebec :)

No comments: