Tuesday, April 7, 2009

this weekend was not bullshit

Early Friday morning I boarded a plane and headed for my 4 day weekend in Florida! This trip, Brie was flying down from CT to join me for ridiculousness and trickery. My flight landed around 9:20am and Brie's came in around 10:50am. I played Legend of Zelda on my DS while I waited for her to arrive (and mom showed up to pick us up). Friday we drove up to Orlando to stay at the JW Marriot. The weather was initially questionable, as it was overcast and rainy, but luckily in Florida, rain never lasts long. My aunt Laura and uncle Dan had also flown down because they are on a week long cruise that left from Orlando, and decided to come down a day early so we could meet up and play! We spent the entire day doing nothing. We bought giant tubes and laid around in the lazy river the entire afternoon. Brie and I floated around in florescent tubes, enjoying the sunshine and not being at work.

Saturday morning we met up for breakfast with my family before Brie and I went to spend the day at Animal Kingdom. My aunt Trisha and my mom dropped us off at the park, and it all began! We mostly spent the day walking around, looking at the animals and exploring the trails. Most of the animal kingdom is about animals and nature (duh) and less about rides. Although, we did of course do the big rides. The Safari had mostly white rhinos, some hippos, giraffes, a lion that was incredibly sleepy, and other animals that were BS. The dinosaur park was kind of lame. Half of it felt like it was a carnie fair, and less impressive like the rest of animal kingdom. We did go on the Dinosaur ride, which was dark and scary, and I was very scared when attacked by the giant T-Rex. Brie however, was ready to fight him off. She's lucky I forgot the giant dino attacked from the right side, I don't know how I always get stuck sitting right next to it. We weren't able to find where we could dig up mammoth bones, but did try to run around the kid dinosaur playground. We decided it is most enjoyed if you're child size, and not only child like. There was a bird show that we also saw. The birds did fun tricks, and flew around the audience, not all of them were BS. The stupid woman was completely annoying and unnecessary to the show. Once it was time for the parade, we decided it was time to ride the Yeti roller coaster. We found lines were much shorter when people went to watch parades, and it seems Disney has become very parade happy, so we had multiple chances to take advantage of these times. I had never been on the Yeti coaster before, and it was unexpected, and a lot of fun! I still think I like the Dinosaur ride best. We ended our time at Animal Kingdom at the Bug's Life show - which is a 3D interactive movie with bugs. My aunt and mom picked us up and we headed over to Magic Kingdom for a few hours before it was time for dinner. We made a list of rides and shows we wanted to do at Magic Kingdom, and started at Fantasy Land. Since it was late in the day, some of the kids rides had less wait times. We rode Snow White, and It's a Small World, and saw Mickey's Philharmagic show.

The 4 of us got all clean and dressed up to head out for dinner at California Grill - which is a giant restaurant on top of the Carribean Beach hotel. We were able to see the Disney fireworks show from the balcony of the restaurant before dinner. We ate so much food and were so deliciously stuffed that I think we all fell asleep the moment we got back to the hotel. Not to mention being in the gorgeously hot Florida sunshine, made us all very sleepy.

Sunday we spent the entire day at Magic Kingdom - we had a giant list of rides to do and things to see! The shortest line of all time, The Swiss Family Robinson tree house - we walked through before exploring on Tom Sawyer's Island - going through really really dark caves and jumping on barrels and bridges. We had the fast pass for Thunder Mountain and were able to take the last two cars - I tried to take pictures throughout the ride, which proved to be difficult, but also humorous. Splash Mountain was temporarily broken, but by the time we were done playing on the Island, brer rabbit, brer bear and brer fox were ready to play! I had forgotten how much I loved that ride. My dad used to read all those Uncle Remus tales to me and my brother when we were little. And of course, the song gets stuck in your head. But not as bad as the SPECTRO magic lights show. Which we had stuck in our heads for the rest of the night, and Monday morning. We hopped over to Adventure land and were Pirates of the Carribean, but the Jungle cruise had a ridiculously long wait time, so we blew that ride off until later that night - while everyone else was watching the fireworks show, heh. Next we went to the Haunted Mansion, which is one of my favorites. I like the changes they've made/updated. Always fun to have a hitchhiking ghost follow you home. By this point we were tired and hot, and decided we needed a break. We had sometime before we could cash in on our Buzz Lightyear fast passes - so we rode the Carousel of Progress - one of the best rides ever. This ride is so incredibly outdated, it's awesome. My mom and aunt took a nap, while Brie and I mocked the progress of the past. Once it was over (aka refreshed from nap time) it was time to fight the evil Zorg! Trisha had the most points, which is total BS. Brie's gun wasn't working either - which was also BS. Since it was midday, a lot of the rides had really long lines and we knew we were going to stick around til about 11pm since our fast passes for Space Mountain wasn't until 1045pm - we decided to go shopping! We each found princess dresses to model, and bought some fun Disney items. Afterwards Brie and I waited in line, what should have been 30 minutes (total lie) to ride Dumbo! I don't think I've ridden Dumbo since I was a toddler - and although we probably went around 5 times and waited about an hour - it was totally worth it! We took another break to eat dinner before the SPECTRO magic lights parade and waited for the show. It was an impressive parade of lights, but it was BS that Snow White and Mary Poppins didn't get their own floats. I don't think they should have been made to walk behind others. It was significantly more impressive than the light shows I remember as a kid, and the music was just as Disney-tastic. Once that cleared it was time for the best ice cream sundae's ever! We chomped the deliciousness on our walk to the Jungle Cruise, where we explored the deep dark jungles around the world. And also, thanks to some random kid, I didn't miss anything. WHY - well because she stated absolutely everything she saw. "You don't scare me snake. Oh look tiger, you have green eyes. You're missing an arm!" And it went that way the entire boat ride. She also felt the need to argue with the castmember, who was our "tour guide". She was probably 8 or 9 years old. Despite her antics, I still love that Jungle Cruise ride. And finally it was time to ride Space Mountain - oh no wait - the ride has been closed. We literally just barely missed getting on the ride. Which was a huge dissapointment! We almost got to do everything we wanted! (minus also a few from Fantasy Land) I did however hula hoop instead, one had been left out from an earlier parade in the day. I can't believe how much walking, running, avoiding of people we did all weekend. A few times I decided to see how many children would just run/walk full force into me - and I'm sad to report there were many. Never hard enough to knock them down, but enough where it was kind of entertaining. Strollers however always won, and I avoided runinng into them. After Space Mountain was officially closed and the night was over, we drove to my mom's house in Tampa and fell fast asleep with dreams of SPECTRO magic. Check out more Disney pictures here!

We had to wake up a little early Monday to get packed up and head to the airport. Brie's flight left first around 11am, so Mom and I dropped her off around 945am. That meant we had just over 3 hours before my flight back to VA. Mom and I decided to head to the Tampa mall, do some shopping, and spend some quality time together (at a much slower pace, hehe) Yay for new clothes and shoes and also, a gorgeous Kate Spade bright orange wallet! I some how managed to pile these new things into my bag and hopped on my flight back home. The flight was uneventful - I did sit next to the same guy both flights. He was friendly AND let me watch movies on his laptop with him - free entertainments! Esp since I forgot my DS charger, and it had died. I'm still not into work mode yet (if you can tell) but I'll slowly get back into being home and doing responsible things, like homework. But for now, I think I'll just enjoy the pictures from the weekend :)

1 comment:

Brie said...

Disney was THE BEST!! So many things were BS in hilarious ways. Every animal was BS and so was every annoying child and person with DISNEY WEDDING HAT. My favorites are Hilariyeti and the ghost with sharp teeth from It's A Small World. I think Space Mountain wins Most BS Award for being broken. Congrats on sweet new expensive wallet!!