Monday, August 3, 2009

rob and mary's wedding

After 2 years of preparations, it was finally time for Rob and Mary's wedding! I left VA Wednesday after work, with the idea that I would arrive a few days early to help everyone get settled and maybe help keep my aunt and Mary calm. The few weeks before, Mary had gotten sick with pnemonia - and it was very important that she rest and not do anything. I'm glad I decided to fly up early! The weather for my flight to CT wasn't cooperative and I ended up arriving about 3 hours later than I was supposed to, but at least I'd finally made it.

On Thursday I helped my aunt run some last minute errands for Mary and got to visit with my cousins and grandma. It was also the day that more people from our family were arriving. My aunt trisha was flying in from a work trip in Arizona, while my mom flew in from Tampa with Roger and the bratty kids. No huge delays, lucky for them. After a few naps we decided to head to WestFarms for some last minute shopping. Grandma took mom to stay at the hotel, so that left me and Laura home with the boys.

Friday meant one more day until the wedding! My cousin Paul flew in from FSU and my brother drove down from Portsmouth, NH. They were the last two to arrive, and our family reunion was complete. The weather Friday was miserable. It poured all day, intense thunderstorms with tornado warnings and the temperature was in the low 60s. At least it wasn't the day of! We spent the day getting ready for company and the rehearsal dinner. Rob had bought large glasses and a case of beer for each groomsman, and we packed each up to bring. All the boys picked up their tuxs and everyone was ready for the night to begin. The wedding rehearsal was standard, only difficulty was the 18 member bridal party - not including the 2 flower girls, 1 junior bridesmaid and of course the bride and groom. It was amazing we managed to fit everyone by the altar. Dinner was at Oasis - a pizza place in Bristol. We had unlimited pizza, beer and wine, and I think we ate about that much. After the rehearsal, Mary went home and we took Rob out for $2 beers. It was all the groomsman, and me! (The benefit of being the only female cousin for 17 years) We didn't stay out too late, Rob didn't want to be hungover or tired. Once home the boys played video games, Joe tried to talk Rob out of getting married, Brother, Paul and Bang played Risk and watched Step Brothers while I slept on the couch. I didn't hear them and managed to sleep for at least a few hours, but they did play the "Sweet Child Of Mine" scene at least a dozen times before I woke up and asked them to make the singing stop!

It is time! Laura and I had to wake up early, being girls this means we had a lot of preparations before the wedding. First we had pedicure appointments with Jen and Christine. While we were off getting pampered, Uncle Dan made a giant breakfast, which I enjoyed afterrwards with my manicured toes. Then we headed to WestFarms to meet up with my mom and get our makeup done at Mac. They did a really great job, and it was fun to get pampered even more. Laura and I headed back to Bristol to finish getting ready and head over to the hotel. Rachel styled my hair, and it was perfect! I received many compliments, and I couldn't be more proud of my cousin. I told everyone that she had done it for me, and they were all impressed. After packing a bag, and snacks, Rachie and I headed over to the hotel to check in and start getting ready. It was a lot of work keeping the boys in one room (214!!) and keeping Mary in hers (226). I spent most of my time with the boys, I helped them with their tuxs and ties and afterwards pinned on the boutineers. Mary had her sisters and family, and I knew my cousins, and the other boys, needed my help more! Once they were finally settled and ready, they hopped on the shuttle from the hotel to the Aqua Turf. Shortly after the limo bus for the bridal party was supposed to arrive, but it never did. Once the shuttle arrived we kicked everyone off and jumped on to head to the chapel. Luckily we had a giant bottle of champagne for the ride. The wedding started a little bit later than it was supposed to, due to the arrival delay. We had to wait for the shuttle to return with the remaining guests we kicked off the shuttle so that we could be almost on time for the ceremony. Finally, everyone was there and ready for the bride! We all lined up and walked down the aisle to Somewhere Over the Rainbow (not the Judy Garland version, the acoustic version) and then Mary walked down with her father to Canon in D. After the cermony there were many pictures taken and then we were allowed into the reception. The food was actually pretty good, and the open bar even better. Once the dancing started it didn't stop until it was time to leave. We even had a giant group on the dance floor perform thriller. Brother and I ended up running into the other wedding that happened just before Rob and Mary's, and it happened to be a childhood friend of mine, Bruno! We chatted with him and his brother, which was very random, and fun. The after party was held in room 214 - except it didn't last long because people complained about the loud noise. We moved the party to - the hotel lobby! (not even kidding) and that lasted until about 4am.

Everyone was pretty tired the next morning, but happy. We all drove back to my Aunt Laura's house, where we made a giant vat of pasta with meatballs and yummy bread. My flight home was supposed to leave at 5pm but was delayed until after 7pm so I was able to spend some more time with my family before we left. We watched The Haunting in Connecticut (only appropriate) and played Phase 10! I managed to bring my bouquet home with me, and everyone loved the flowers (and the flower in my hair!). One of the flight attendents took pictures of my flowers she thought they were so beautiful. I finalllly made it home before 11pm and absolutely crashed. I love being with my family :)

For more wedding pictures click here!

No comments: