Sunday, January 9, 2011

just call me elizabeth bennett

After a full day of jeeping, Jason and I took a slight detour to visit the Biltmore, America's largest house. His friend had given Jason free tickets and coupons and we jumped on the chance to see the house. Unfortunately the trip was a lot shorter than I would have liked, but it was worth the stop.

We first went to the winery and tasted many wines. They weren't very good, at all. I've been entirely too spoiled by Evan when it comes to wine. However, I do often enjoy my snobbish taste! Despite my dislike, I bought 2 bottles of wine, they were inexpensive and from the Biltmore. I'm a sucker, but still will enjoy drinking them. Afterward we had lunch at the Bistro before rushing back over to the main house for our scheduled tour. We ended up having a private tour of the house, which was awesome. We learned about the Vanderbilt family and their friends who often stayed at the house in the late 1800s early 1900s. We weren't allowed to take pictures inside the house, which I understand as a historian, but personally think is lame. Once the tour was over we walked on some of the grounds taking pictures. It was cold so that didn't last very long. We did a quick tour of the rest of the house before heading out. If at some point I could see the house and the gardens while they're in bloom I would be happy, but this will have to do for now!

No comments: